Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Part 1.

I broke the coffee press, and I had to get a new one.

That is really what it all boiled down to. We are a coffee drinkin' set of parents and without it I am not sure that I could call myself a human before noon. It hasn't always been that way, but it is that way now, and I suppose there are far worse things to be addicted to and claim to need. desperately. 

The kids were up for it so I packed the van with my lovies and headed about 500 yards down the road. Target. 

I got in, got the press and headed for the door. Superman  Jake is cruising on the bottom of the buggy, hands out. Cool. Quiet. Chamblee is walking next to me, holding my hand, giving me her best argument for why she neeeeeds that Frozen headband. She could wear it to school, show all of her friends, she really loves Frozen, you know. She can use her allowance. She needs it. And sweet baby Josephine is strapped to my chest cooing and babbling and giving the occasional screech. She's getting 4 molars at once. I am sympathetic and maybe a little desensitized to the noise level... but honestly. 

Nothing. Crazy. 
Nothing. 

I am almost to the cashiers. I have almost made it out of the store with no comments, no tantrums, nothing eventful. Just got the press and headed home. 

Then, there it is. 
And it's bad. 

I hear -behind my back, of course- someone say it. 

"Why don't you go have some more kids or something?"

My first thought was to say, "I think I will!" And smile. And walk away. 
I think you guys know me better than that. 

So, instead, I went with my second thought. 
I whipped around. 
I asked a tart, "Excuse me?" 
Nothing. 
So I   s l o w l y   rolled the cart back a little bit. 
Tried to make eye contact with the man. 
"Excuse me? Were you talking to me?"
I got an eye roll, a huff, and he kept on keeping on down aisle 2. 
Coward.
"You know, I didn't think you would want to say that to my face." 

I whipped back around. 
And then, I blacked out. 

I can't think of a time when I have ever been so. angry
I really can't. Not even once. 
I made it to the cashier, I apparently paid. 
We headed for the van. 
I am shaking. I am so mad. 
As the automatic doors opened, my legs quit working. 

I wasn't satisfied. 
What he said was rude. Uncalled for. 
I didn't stand up for myself in front of my children.
He's gotta know that he can't talk to people me that way and expect no consequence. 
But was it my place? to hold him accountable?
Yes. Yes it was. It was me he was talking about, after all. 

So, I turned around. 

"Where are we going, mom?" 
"Are you returning my Frozen headband?" 
What Frozen headband? Ugh. Must've said yes during the blackout. 
"Did you forget something?" 
"Where are we GOING?" 

So I answered them. 

"We are going back into the store to find the rude man. 
I need to tell him something." 



To Be Continued...

Until Next Time, 
The Guff

1 comment:

  1. You go girl! I can't wait to hear the rest. I love you and your family!!

    ReplyDelete